I recently met up with a close friend who’s been super interested in owning a dog. He said, “My entire life, I wanted to own a dog, but the biggest roadblock is that I have allergies.” I told him that just because he’s allergic to dogs, doesn’t mean that he can’t own a pup! There are actually a lot of dogs for people with allergies.
Now, I’m sure most of us aren’t allergic to dogs at all. I know I’m not, but unfortunately that isn’t everyone and we need to respect that!
For those of you who aren’t that lucky, you’ll probably want to be more selective when it comes to getting your new pup. And just for you guys, I’ve found the best dogs for allergies!
In this article, I’ll cover all the best dogs for people with allergies and hopefully that can give you some hope!
But wait, is there more than one type of dog allergies?
Yes yes, I’m glad you asked!
While most people associate dog allergies with their fur, there can actually be a multitude of reasons as to why someone would be allergic.
Some of the most common dog allergens are:
- Fur – Saliva
- Dander – Urine
- Feces – Other bodily dander/fluids
I know people tend to suggest hypoallergenic dogs to people with dog allergies, but that’s a myth I must put an end to.
Say it with me people, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog!
To say that a dog is hypoallergenic implies that the dog is allergen free, therefore free of fur, saliva, dander, and all the other allergens I mentioned above. What type of hollowed out cold Franken-dog would that be?!
I like to give people the benefit of that doubt, however, and I assume that when people say it’s a hypoallergenic dog, it’s simply a dog with less allergens. Some dogs shed less and therefore present less allergens.
That is a fact that I think we can all agree upon.
So the dogs that those suffering with dog allergies would be dogs that shed the least, or at least, less than other breeds.
Best Dogs for Allergies
Listed below are dogs for allergy sufferers who still wanna play with doggies.
- Comes in three fun sizes!
- Miniature, toy, and standard
- Energetic and playful
2. Italian Greyhounds
- Slender build, fast as hell, and easy to take care of
- Highly energetic, therefore do require daily exercise
3. Cairn Terrier
- Small sized lovable dog that gets along with all house pets!
- Perfectly happy to run around indoors!
4. Bedlington Terrier
- Similar in appearance to the poodle
- They have a ridiculous soft coat you could pet and pat ‘till the cows came home
- Proud owners of what is probably the best mustache in the dog world
- While dominant, they’re smart and respond quickly to training
6. Bichon Frise
- Fiesty little balls of energy that’ll always keep you entertained
- While they are relatively easy to maintain, regular grooming is required
7. Chinese Crested Dog
- Ever wanted a dog that was so ugly it was cute? Well, here you go.
- Comes both hairless, and with hair!
8. Afghan Hound
- One of the dogs out there with a gorgeous mane that challenges supermodels
- Larger than most of the other dogs on the list, known for being highly rational
9. Airedale Terriers
- The dignified hero dog of WWI used by the English forces to great success
- While they can be slightly hard headed, daily exercise keep them happy
- I debated putting this dog on this list, as it isn’t an actual breed itself
- This cute mix of a labrador and poodle is ideal for people with dog allergies!
Getting one of those dogs mean no more allergies?
I really wish I could say “Yes!! By God man, you are free from allergies now!!”
But I can’t.
While those dogs are certainly ideal for people with dog allergies, it doesn’t mean you’re home free. But this does not mean that hope is all lost!
These dogs shed less and will release less allergens into your house. So taking some small steps such as regular brushing and frequently vacuuming, you can ensure that you keep the allergen levels low, as well as your sneezing rate, while keeping your nasal passages empty.
If you enjoyed this article or know someone that’s suffering from allergies and worried about getting a dog because of that, then please share this article with them so that they can have a peace of mind!